What is IoT? What are its applications?
You may have heard the term “Internet of Things” at some point from a colleague, article, or advertisement, but it is a broad term and can cover an enormous amount of information. The Internet of Things briefly refers to the rapidly growing network of connected things that are able to collect and exchange data using Built-in sensors. In this article we will explain some things related to Internet of things.
What is Internet Of Things ?
The term Internet of Things refers to all devices – whatever their type – that can connect to the Internet, send and receive information without the intervention of the human factor, This matter has become available on any device due to the manufacture of processors and wireless communication networks, adding a processor and a wireless chip is no longer an obstacle and will not take more than several centimeters in any device.
The ability to connect devices to the Internet and exchange data adds a touch of intelligence to any traditional device to increase its functions and intelligence without changing the concept that was designed for it, and this also enhances communication between the digital world and the real world more easily than it is now.
History of Internet of things
The information refers to the birth date of the term Internet of Things dating back to 1999 for the first time, as it was mentioned among the contents of a presentation reviewed by co-founder at MIT Kevin Ashton; However, it was not explicitly referred to. It began to evolve gradually in conjunction with the development of wireless technologies, such as micro-electromechanical systems, information technology and data analysis for the purpose of using them in revealing the future visions of an institution. One of the best evidence for the existence of IoT for some time now is that Coca-Cola has been setting up its own machine to sell its products at Carnegie Mellon University, and has relied on the web to check who has a cold drink or not. The stages of development of this type of Internet went through several stages, the first of which is machine to machine (M2M): this type depends on the communication between machines by relying on networks without any humanitarian intervention.
The principle of the Internet of Things
The establishment of the Internet of Things system depends on the abundance of many of the main components, which are smart devices that support the web for the purposes of harnessing it to process data, sensors, and communications devices of various kinds for the purpose of collecting data from its environment and transferring it to the beneficiary. The secret of the work lies in the connection of all IoT devices with special sensors to capture the necessary data and analyze it; then return the important information without the need for any human intervention, and there must be special protocols to connect to the network and the devices supported by the web.
The importance of the Internet of Things
- Assist decision makers in making the best decision among the range of decisions available to them.
- Upgrading the performance and productivity strategy in the factories.
- Provide better customer service.
- Increasing productivity.
- Save effort, time and money.
- To avoid problems.
Some numbers about the Internet of Things
We are talking about a huge wave that will make almost everything around us online to improve its performance or even to completely change the way we deal with it,But what are the current and expected figures for the world of IoT and what are the opportunities for manufacturers and developers in this field. I’m going to leave you with some interesting stats from Business Insider and Gartner.
– By 2020, the size of the Internet of Things market will be twice that of mobile phones, computers and tablets combined! The number of IoT devices will reach 35 billion devices connected to the Internet.
– Internet of things market revenue is expected to reach more than 600 billion dollars in 2020
– The Big Data era will live to new levels, as by 2020 devices in the world of IoT will generate over 40,000 exabytes of data. How big is this number? 40 thousand exabytes = 40 trillion gigabytes!
– investing in startups in the Internet of Things field has increased 10-fold over the past 5 years
– Home automation and smart home systems will be the largest IoT market in the consumer sector by the end of 2020, while infrastructure systems will be the most important government project. Businesses and the business sector remain the most spendable on the Internet of Things.
– The business sector will invest $ 250 billion in Internet of Things technologies during the next five years, 90% of which will go to invest in the systems and software that operate these devices.
– How will all sectors invest in the Internet of Things? The industrial sector is the largest and boldest investor in adopting new technologies.
What are IoT applications?
If we start listing IoT applications it may take days to cover it as IoT has become an essential part of all devices in general, The scope of IoT technology is very broad in everyday life, and the most important of these are examples and applications:
1- virtual assistant
It is capable of voice interaction, music playback, making to-do lists, setting alarms, streaming podcasts, playing audiobooks, and providing weather, traffic, sports, and other real-time information, such as news. Virtual Assistant can also control several smart devices using itself as a home automation system. Users are able to extend the assistant capabilities by installing “skills” (additional functionality developed by third-party vendors, in other settings more commonly called apps such as weather programs and audio features).
2- IoT In Healthcare
Lots of existing problems can be solved with the collaboration of IoT. Different IoT solutions can improve the efficiency level of treatment and monitoring of patients. Lots of existing problems can be solved with the collaboration of IoT. Different IoT solutions can improve the efficiency level of treatment and monitoring of patients. An example of these solutions is the nurse call system, which provides the patient with certain methods of seeking help from nurses. The system also displays cases of all rooms in the hospital on one screen, and provides the hospital administration with follow-up of the performance of the nursing staff and its rapid response to the patients’ call. You can learn about our nurse call system from here.